08 May 2006

Ah Bonnie Scotland!

On Thursday last week Carole and I headed off to the land of the Scots, thank you Easy Jet for giving us a pleasant flight! We were embarking upon a long weekend to visit my bestest buddies whom I don’t often get to see.

I know that may seem weird having a bestest buddy who I don’t see very often but that is the beauty of our friendship. We can go ages without seeing each other or even talking on the phone and then we catch up, and visit and it’s like we were never apart! Fabulous.

The reason for our visit was as my friends were having their Civil Partnership (CP) and they wanted me and Carole to be their witnesses. So I packed my glad rags and happily made our way up to Scotland.

Not sure if all know about the CP, we had a change in the law last year which meant from December same sex couples could register as being in a CP and this directs they are permitted the same rights as couples in a marriage. So no inheritance tax, access to pension rights, official next of kin etc. Obviously it means your partner’s income can impact upon benefits etc but it offers equality and a recognition that those in same sex relationship are as important as those without. (About bloody time!)

The ceremony was on Friday and my friends looked absolutely gorgeous! Stunning in fact. We were picked up by an old Austin Motor Car, classic and driven into Dundee to the registry office where the ceremony was being held.

It was a wonderful ceremony and a very smiley smiley occasion. Happy feelings all round. After the ceremony it was back in the car for a slow drive up to the Lands of Loyal (go on have a look you know you want to!) a fabulous hotel, old Victorian house, with lots of character features. Lots of quaffing champagne on route, so slightly tipsy on arrival.

And forget the imagery of Scotland being a cold blowy place. We had beautiful weather the whole weekend. Glorious sunshine. Which meant we had the roof down in the car, splendiferous!
On arrival we partook in canapé’s and more champagne, and after a short rest a sumptuous meal, with lots of toasting the happy couple.

Our room was the red room, which has a four-poster bed. First time I’ve ever slept in one of those. Climbing up into bed was a weird sensation! A solid night sleep despite my early fears of the house being a venue, which the TV show Most Haunted, would visit. (No ghosties there! Phew).

Following morning a glorious breakfast (I still cant believe how much I’ve eaten over the weekend ~ tubby tummy syndrome!). Fortunately we walked off some of our indulgencies around Forfar Loch later the same day.

A restful Sunday morning before we set off back home. What a wonderful weekend. Thank you girls for sharing your moment with us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home